Deck safety is a matter of utmost concern for the North American Deck and Railing Association (NADRA), as they strive to raise public awareness about the crucial importance of regular inspections, maintenance, and proper installation of decks. The gravity of the situation is evident when considering the staggering number of decks in the United States, estimated to be over 60 million. Shockingly, around 30 million of these decks are already past their useful life and require immediate replacement, making deck safety an urgent and critical issue demanding attention.
To further highlight the severity of the problem, data collected by Legacy Services from the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System (NEISS) maintained by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reveals the alarming number of porch and deck-related injuries. Over five consecutive years, there were a total of 178,800 reported injuries, a figure that excludes incidents related to icy or wet surfaces, drug or alcohol use, and minor mishaps. Among these injuries, a distressing 20,200 (approximately 11%) resulted from structural failures or collapses. This translates to an average of about 4,000 such incidents every year, emphasizing the pressing need to address deck safety to prevent further tragedies and protect the well-being of the public. Living in Myrtle Beach increases the likelihood of a deck collapse accident as many individuals in this beach community have balconies, porches, and decks.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a balcony or deck accident, don’t hesitate to reach out to The Lovely Law Firm. Our experienced deck collapse personal injury lawyers are dedicated to ensuring your rights are fully protected and will fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact The Lovely Law Firm today to get the legal support you need during this difficult time.
Common Injuries Sustained In Balcony & Deck Collapse Near Myrtle Beach
Deck collapses, including balcony and porch collapses, can lead to a wide range of severe injuries in Myrtle Beach. The height of the deck plays a significant role, as higher decks are more likely to result in fatal or catastrophic injuries. Among the most common injuries in deck collapse accidents are:
- Ankle Injuries – Ankle injuries often occur when individuals jump or fall from a collapsing structure, landing on their feet and injuring vulnerable ankle bones.
- Bone Fractures – Bone fractures are also prevalent, caused by the force of impact or unnatural positions during the fall. Such fractures may be accompanied by soft tissue injuries, adding to the severity of the situation.
- Crush Injuries – Crush injuries are another grave concern, where body parts can become trapped beneath heavy debris or rubble.
- Lacerations – Victims can suffer cuts and lacerations, particularly if the deck features glass railings that shatter during the collapse. These cuts can range from minor wounds to deep gashes, with the potential for nerve or organ damage and infections.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries – Perhaps one of the most alarming injuries is traumatic brain injuries (TBI), which can result from the victim’s head striking the ground or being hit by falling objects during the collapse of a deck, balcony, or porch.
It is crucial for those affected to seek immediate medical attention and consult with a deck collapse lawyer at The Lovely Law Firm to ensure their rights are protected and to pursue rightful compensation for their injuries.
Causes of Myrtle Beach Deck Collapses
Deck collapses in Myrtle Beach can have devastating consequences, and many of these accidents are preventable with proper care and maintenance. Many of these accidents occur in the homes of family and friends, leading victims to hesitate to pursue claims against their loved ones. However, it is essential to remember that homeowners usually have insurance policies that can provide compensation for injuries and damages.
Pursuing a claim is not about seeking retribution from family or friends but ensuring that victims receive the support and compensation they deserve to cope with the aftermath of such tragic incidents. Homeowner’s insurance is there to protect both the property owner and those who may be injured on the property, allowing victims to seek appropriate restitution without causing undue financial strain on their loved ones. Therefore it’s important for homeowners to understand the most common causes of balcony, porch, and deck collapses in Myrtle Beach, to ensure their guests and family are always safe and protected. The most common causes of deck collapses include the following.
One of the common causes of these collapses is inadequate inspections. Property owners and managers have a duty to conduct regular inspections to ensure the safety of their decks, balconies, and porches. Over time, wear and tear can lead to joist failure, rotting wood, and insect damage, compromising the structural integrity of the deck. Exposure to harsh weather conditions can further weaken the deck, making it susceptible to collapse.
Exceeded Weight Restrictions
Another significant factor is exceeding weight restrictions. Decks are designed to support a specific amount of weight, and failure to adhere to these restrictions, such as allowing too many people on the structure, can lead to accidents and injuries. Structural or design problems also contribute to deck collapses. Even if weight restrictions are followed, a defective structure or design can make the deck unsafe.
Old & Deteriorated Materials
Inadequate supports or railings pose a serious safety hazard. Proper support systems are fundamental to the stability of any balcony, porch, or deck. Missing or faulty railings on stairs can lead to unsuspecting victims falling and suffering injuries.
Furthermore, the foundation’s quality and adherence to building code requirements are crucial for a safe deck. Defects in the foundation, improper construction, faulty materials, or building code violations can be the root cause of a deck, balcony, or porch collapse.
Improperly built decks, balconies, and porches are a frequent cause of deck collapses in Myrtle Beach. These structures, when not constructed according to proper engineering standards or building codes, can pose significant safety risks, leading to potential structural failures and accidents. Regular inspections and adherence to construction guidelines are vital to prevent such collapses and ensure the safety of occupants and guests.
Who’s Liable For Injuries In A Deck Collapse Near Myrtle Beach
In the event of a balcony, porch, or deck collapse accident, the homeowner may not be liable. There are multiple factors that go into determining liability, which will also determine who can be held liable for any injuries sustained.
- Construction Company – If the collapse occurred due to improper construction or lack of maintenance, the construction company may be held liable. Our deck collapse injury lawyer at The Lovely Law Firm specializes in premises liability and can investigate the incident and gather evidence to demonstrate the contractor’s negligence, such as non-compliance with building codes, lack of necessary permits, improper weatherproofing, or faulty structural support.
- Property Owner or Landlord – The property owner or landlord may be liable if the collapse was a result of improper maintenance or failure to address structural defects promptly. While they may argue that they were unaware of the construction company’s negligence, they are still responsible for maintaining a safe property for occupants and guests.
- Manufacturer of Faulty Materials – If the deck collapse occurred due to faulty materials, the liability may fall on the manufacturer of those materials. This could include issues like substandard building materials that compromise the integrity of the deck.
- Invitees – In cases where the deck was overcrowded beyond its intended capacity, the invitees who contributed to the excess weight may also share some responsibility for the collapse. However, the property owner could still be held liable for not preventing the accident, especially if the deck was built using faulty materials.
Determining liability in such cases can be complex, involving multiple parties and factors. It’s essential to seek the assistance of a qualified Myrtle Beach deck collapse attorney experienced in handling premises liability cases, like the ones at The Lovely Law Firm, to ensure that victims receive the compensation they deserve from the responsible parties.
Contact A South Carolina Deck Collapse Lawyer Near You
If you or a loved one have been injured in a deck collapse accident in Myrtle Beach, seeking legal assistance from The Lovely Law Firm is essential. Our team of experienced deck collapse lawyers is devoted to helping victims pursue justice and fair compensation for their injuries. With a strong background in handling premises liability cases, we have a proven track record of representing individuals who have suffered similar accidents. When you contact us, we will conduct a thorough investigation to identify the responsible parties, which could include construction companies, property owners, or manufacturers of faulty materials. We will handle all communication with insurance companies and other involved parties, ensuring that your rights are safeguarded and that you receive the maximum compensation possible.
Our empathetic approach means that we will be by your side every step of the way, providing guidance through the legal process and tirelessly advocating for the compensation you deserve, covering medical expenses, lost wages, pain, and suffering. At The Lovely Law Firm, we are committed to offering personalized and dedicated representation to deck collapse victims, helping them to rebuild their lives, and obtain compensation, after such a devastating accident.
What A Happy Client Says About The Lovely Law Firm on Google:
My experience with the Lovely Law firm has been the absolute best! Sharde Crawford made sure we were treated like family during our personal injury case. Step by step I was informed and kept in the loop with updates. This made the entire process hassle free and professional. I am grateful for her and the Lovely team who help fight for what was right. I will never look anywhere else for legal services!!!
We’re proud of our 4.0 rating across 801+ reviews on Google