Experienced Jet Ski Accident Lawyer Near Myrtle Beach
Embarking on a jet ski adventure is an exhilarating experience like no other! The rush of the wind against your skin and the thrill of skimming across the water create an unbeatable sense of excitement. In the vibrant coastal paradise of Myrtle Beach and nearby areas – throughout the entirety of South Carolina, jet skiing stands tall as one of the most beloved and sought-after water sports. The pristine waters of the region provide the perfect playground for jet ski enthusiasts, offering both beginners and seasoned riders a chance to embrace the waves and bask in the beauty of their surroundings. Whether you’re seeking an adrenaline-pumping ride or a leisurely cruise along the coastline, jet skiing in Myrtle Beach and South Carolina promises endless adventure and an unforgettable connection to the water. There are also multiple names referring to the use of jet skis, including:
- Personal Water Craft (PWC)
- Sea-Doo (Brand)
- WaveRunner (Brand)
How Common Are Jet Ski Accidents?
While jet skiing undoubtedly offers an incredible and thrilling experience, it’s important to acknowledge that this activity can swiftly transform from fun to perilous. Last year, a tragic incident in July serves as a sobering reminder of the potential dangers associated with jet skiing. In Myrtle Beach, a child lost their life in a jet ski accident, and the gravity of the situation was further emphasized by the fact that the child’s father was driving the jet ski at the time of the accident. The unfortunate reality is that such accidents can occur unexpectedly, even in popular destinations like Myrtle Beach. Statistics from 2022 starkly illustrate the risks involved in jet skiing. In 2022 alone, South Carolina witnessed:
- 24 jet ski drownings
- 54 total jet ski-related deaths
- 549 injuries
The total casualties amounted to a sobering 603. These figures underscore the need for responsible and cautious behavior while engaging in this exhilarating water sport, reminding us that while the thrill is undeniable, safety must always remain paramount. While boating in general can be a dangerous pastime if it’s not treated seriously – the exposed nature of operating a jet ski and the speed these watercraft reach make them inherently more dangerous. If you need a boating accident attorney or an attorney after a jet ski accident – our team here at the Lovely Law Firm can help.
If you’ve experienced an injury due to a jet ski accident, it’s crucial to take immediate action to safeguard your rights. Enlisting the expertise of a skilled Myrtle Beach jet ski accident lawyer at The Lovely Law Firm can provide you with the legal support necessary to ensure your rights are fully protected as you seek rightful compensation for your injuries. Our knowledge and experience in handling such cases can make a significant difference in navigating the complex legal landscape and securing the compensation you deserve.
What Age Can You Drive A Jet Ski In SC?
In South Carolina, those who are under the age of 16 must successfully finish an approved boater education course before they can operate a personal watercraft (jet ski) or a boat with an engine of 15 hp or more, without adult supervision. This regulation aims to ensure that young boaters possess the essential skills and knowledge to operate watercraft safely. Beyond adhering to legal obligations, completing the boater education course could potentially make you eligible for insurance discounts on your boat or jet ski coverage.
The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR) provides two options for completing the Boater Education Course: a guided classroom course led by an instructor, or a self-paced online course. The online option offers an interactive and comprehensive learning journey, culminating in the issuance of a State of South Carolina boating safety certificate upon successful completion.
What To Do After A Jet Ski Accident?
In the event of being involved in a jet ski accident in South Carolina, it becomes paramount to adhere to these recommended steps. Following these is essential to safeguarding your personal well-being and legal entitlements.
- Prioritize Safety – Your safety takes precedence. Following a jet ski accident, ensure your security by signaling for assistance from another jet ski or boat, or promptly heading towards the shore. Given the peril of being injured and stranded in open water, swift movement toward a secure location is of utmost importance.
- Seek Immediate Medical Aid – Irrespective of whether you sense injuries or not, seeking medical attention is imperative. Certain injuries, like concussions, might not manifest immediately. Arrange for timely medical assessment and treatment for yourself and others involved in the incident.
- Report to Authorities – Notify the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR) and local law enforcement about the accident. Their aid can be instrumental in documenting the incident, providing assistance, and creating an official accident report. This report holds significance for future insurance claims and potential legal actions.
- Accumulate Crucial Evidence – If possible, capture photographs of the accident scene, encompassing any damage sustained by the jet skis and the surrounding environment. Gather contact details of witnesses and record videos of the watercraft, individuals involved, and the accident site. Such evidence holds pivotal value for insurance claims and legal proceedings.
- Alert Your Insurer Promptly – Initiate the claims process by promptly contacting your insurance provider. Share the compiled information, including the accident report, photos, and witness accounts. However, exercise caution in your communication until you obtain legal guidance, as insurance companies often seek to minimize payouts.
- Engage Legal Consultation – Should the accident result in severe injuries or if you suspect the involvement of another party’s negligence, seeking advice from an experienced South Carolina personal injury attorney is recommended. A proficient attorney can clarify your rights, explore available avenues, and assist in pursuing compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and emotional distress.
By adhering to these steps, you can effectively prioritize your physical well-being, safeguard your legal rights, and progress towards obtaining the rightful compensation following a jet ski accident in South Carolina. It is vital to recognize that the expertise of legal professionals can prove invaluable when navigating the intricate complexities of such situations.
Common Causes of Jet Ski Accidents
While jet ski accidents in Myrtle Beach can stem from a variety of causes, certain factors tend to be more prevalent than others. Understanding these common factors can contribute to increased awareness and proactive safety measures among jet ski enthusiasts and operators.
What Is The Most Common Jet Ski Accident?
In Myrtle Beach, the primary cause of jet ski accidents is often attributed to recklessness, with nearly 26 percent of all personal watercraft crashes being attributed to this factor, as reported by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). Operating a jet ski at unsafe speeds and venturing into hazardous waters are key contributors to this statistic.
However, there are also other factors that can contribute to a Myrtle Beach jet ski accident, including:
- Operator Inexperience – Operator inexperience ranks prominently among the leading causes of jet ski injuries. While they may appear straightforward to operate, jet skis demand a level of skill and experience, and lack of familiarity can lead to issues such as excessive speed or inadequate maneuvering.
- Under The Influence – Operating a watercraft under the influence of alcohol is another prevalent concern. While the recreational nature of jet skiing might make it seem like drinking and operating go hand in hand, intoxication remains a serious hazard. Alcohol impairs motor skills and judgment, contributing to some of the most severe watercraft accidents. Despite the open waters, the dangers of operating under the influence mirror those of operating a motor vehicle.
- Mechanical Issues – Mechanical issues also warrant consideration as a common cause of jet ski accidents. Not all accidents result from operator error; inadequate maintenance of rental jet skis by some establishments can lead to breakdowns at inopportune moments. Clients who have suffered injuries due to mechanical issues with jet skis have sought legal representation from reputable personal injury attorneys. At The Lovely Law Firm, our accomplished Myrtle Beach jet ski accident lawyers have successfully advocated for clients who experienced injuries as a result of jet ski malfunctions.
Recognizing these common causes of jet ski accidents is essential for promoting safety and preventing injuries on the water. Whether through responsible operation, gaining sufficient experience, abstaining from alcohol consumption, or ensuring proper maintenance, these insights empower individuals to enjoy jet skiing while minimizing risks.
Types Of Jet Ski Accident Injuries
Whether you’re a novice embarking on your first jet ski ride or an experienced operator of powerful watercraft, it’s important to familiarize yourself with the most common types of jet ski injuries, especially in the context of Myrtle Beach. This awareness can empower you to take preventative measures and prioritize safety while enjoying the open water.
Concussions are a significant concern, as many states lack mandatory helmet laws for jet ski operators. High-impact collisions can result in severe head trauma, often leading to concussion symptoms such as:
Unlike some injuries, concussions require time for symptoms to subside rather than aggressive medical intervention.
Whiplash injuries occur when sudden, forceful movements contort the body into unnatural positions, causing considerable pain. These injuries can be avoided by taking wider and slower turns on the jet ski and necessitate rest for recovery.
Jet skiers are also susceptible to deep bruises caused by crashes into other water vessels or contact with the jet ski’s own components due to the strong up-and-down movements in water. Treating deep bruises typically involves ice application followed by a period of reduced activity.
Fractures are another common injury, often arising from collisions due to the lack of protective gear. The arms and legs are particularly vulnerable and may require weeks or even months in a cast to heal properly.
Lacerations & Scrapes
Lacerations are a risk as well, given the presence of jagged edges on jet skis and the potential for impact with sharp objects. Open wounds from lacerations can lead to bacterial infections, which can exacerbate the severity of the injury if not treated promptly.
Sprains can occur, especially in the shoulder area, due to the strength required to maneuver a jet ski. Slowing down the watercraft’s speed can be a preventive measure against sprains.
Recognizing these common jet ski injuries in Myrtle Beach enables you to take steps to mitigate risks, practice caution, and prioritize safety to ensure a more enjoyable and accident-free experience on the water. If you’ve sustained an injury while operating a jet ski, it’s important to contact a jet ski accident attorney in Myrtle Beach at The Lovely Law Firm to ensure that your rights are fully protected while obtaining compensation.
Contact A Myrtle Beach Jet Ski Accident Lawyer Near You
Contact The Lovely Law Firm at 843-839-4111 right now, or contact us online for a free consultation with one of our Myrtle Beach boat and jet ski accident attorneys. We’re here for you and ready to help resolve your jet ski case. If you find yourself injured in a jet ski accident, seeking immediate legal guidance is paramount. The experienced Myrtle Beach jet ski accident lawyers at The Lovely Law Firm are ready to provide you with expert support and assistance. Our team understands the complexities of such cases and is dedicated to helping you navigate the legal process, ensuring your rights are protected and that you have the best chance of receiving rightful compensation for your injuries and damages. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us to discuss your case and explore your options for seeking justice and recovery.
What our Clients Say About The Lovely Law Firm on Google
Justin and Amy Lovely don’t mess around and truly care about their clients. They’re locals that are invested in their community in every way.
We’re proud of our 4.9 rating across 793+ reviews on Google