Hit and Run Accidents – The Lovely Law Firm Injury Lawyers, South Carolina

Hit and Run Accidents

Hit and Run Accidents – Who Do I sue?

Hit-and-Run Accidents: How to Recover Damages

Hit and Run Accidents occur everyday believe it or not. Being injured in an automobile accident can be extremely costly—medical bills can pile up, you can lose time from work, and vehicles may have to be repaired or even replaced. This damage is usually covered by the at-fault driver’s insurance policy. If you have been injured by an unknown at-fault driver who fled the scene, however, then there is no one to sue to recover damages from. Luckily, you can still recover damages to pay for your injuries.

How Do I Recover Damages in a Hit-and-Run Accident?

When you are injured by a hit-and-run driver and the driver is not able to be identified, then your own car insurance company will bear the responsibility for your accident. The method by which you can recover damages from your insurance company depends on whether or not you live in a no-fault state. If you do live in a no-fault state, then you will simply file a claim with your car insurance to recover damages resulting from your accident.

If you live in South Carolina, then you can receive compensation from your insurer by filing an uninsured motorist claim, as South Carolina is not a no-fault state.

What is Uninsured Motorist Coverage?

Uninsured motorist coverage (UM) is a mandatory insurance coverage in South Carolina that provides coverage when the at-fault driver has no insurance coverage. In South Carolina, uninsured motorist coverage also covers hit-and-run drivers, since the driver is unknown and thus cannot be located to determine insurance coverage.

Uninsured motorist coverage will cover damages that you suffered as a result of your accident. If the coverage amount is not enough to take care of all of your damages, then you may be able to recover additional damages if you also have underinsured motorist coverage.

What is Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

Underinsured motorist coverage (UIM) is an insurance that is optional in South Carolina. This insurance coverage kicks in if your uninsured motorist coverage is not high enough to cover all of your damages. This happens frequently in accidents involving severe injuries and property damage, so underinsured motorist coverage is recommended, even if it is not mandatory in South Carolina.

“Stacking” Insurance Policies

If there is more than one vehicle on your policy, then you may be able to “stack” your coverage for each of these vehicles in order to add up to an amount that will cover the damages that you suffered in your accident. This coverage is not always available, however, so it is a good idea to consult an attorney to determine whether this option is available for you.

Injured in a Hit-and-Run Accident? We Are Here to Help!

Hit and Run Accidents can be tricky to bring but we know the rules to achieve your recovery. If you have been injured due to an accident caused by a driver who fled the scene, the experienced personal injury attorneys at the Lovely Law Firm are here to help you fight for the compensation that you deserve. To schedule a free case evaluation and have an auto accident attorney discuss your claim with you, call 843-839-4111 today.

Every case is different. Results vary.

Top 40 under 40Top 100 trial lawyersNational Trial Lawyers Top 100Martindale AV Certificate Trial Lawyers Top 100South Carolina Association of Criminal Defense LawyersSouth Carolina Association for Justice10 Best 2014